You and your partner will be given two packets of Alka-Seltzer (a total of four tablets). Use them to answer the following questions:
1. List the ingredients.
2. Write the formula for each one of the ingredients. Some of them may be pictures.
3. What percent of each tablet is “inert” (unlisted) ingredients?
4. Predict the chemical reaction when a tablet is added to water.
5. What mass of gas should be produced per tablet?
6. What mass of gas is actually produced per tablet?
7. What is the percent yield of this reaction?
8. What would happen if there was phenolphthalein in the water first?
9. What are you thinking about this reaction?
[MHS AP Chemistry page]