The purpose of this activity is be the first group to produce a specific volume of hydrogen gas (25.0 or 50.0 mL by class consensus) by the reaction of zinc metal with hydrochloric acid.
Each group will pass in their own lab. Each lab should include the following numbered sections:
STUDENT LEARNING EXPECTATIONS
1. A Middletown High School graduate will effectively utilize literacy skills:
reading analysis and interpretation, writing, listening, and speaking.
2. A Middletown High School graduate will acquire, analyze, and evaluate
information and ideas to solve problems effectively.
2. A Middletown High School graduate will demonstrate a personal sense of
ethics that will include honesty, integrity, and self-control.
1. A Middletown High School graduate will demonstrate responsibility for his or
her own actions, behaviors, and academic success.
2. A Middletown High School graduate will work cooperatively to achieve group
goals and to resolve issues.
A FINAL NOTE:
Get all of the jokes about a "gas producing challenge" out of your system (ha ha) before you write the lab.
[MHS AP Chemistry Page]