A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide."
And for plenty of good reasons, since it:
1. can cause excessive sweating and vomiting.
2. is a major component in acid rain.
3. can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. can kill you from accidental inhalation
5. contributes to erosion
6. decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients
He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water. The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. He feels the conclusion is obvious.
[MHS Chem page][MHS AP Chem page]